College of Fine Arts: Department of Music
First page number:
Last page number:
• Does the choir have good posture, breath support and voice production? Is the kind of choral tone appropriate to the selection?
• How well does the group sing in tune (intonation)? Are intervals and chords lined up properly?
• How well do the voices blend (uniform tone qualities) within and between sections? Are vowels uniform?
• Do the sections sing in balance with each other so that important parts are clearly heard?
• Is the choir accurate and precise in their attacks, releases, correctness of notes and rhythms?
• Are all parts of the words correctly pronounced? Are all consonants clear? Are all vowels well-shaped (diction)?
• Do the dynamics, tempo, and phrasing of the selection seem varied and interesting enough to bring the piece to life?
• Does the choir sing with real expression and vitality and communicate the meaning of the text (regardless of tempo)?
• How well does the ensemble watch and respond to the director? Do any individuals distract the audience from the music before, during or after the performance? Does the choir sincerely reflect the meaning of the text on their faces?
• Does the overall discipline and deportment of the choir, on and off stage, reflect a professional musical attitude?
Music | Music Performance
UNLV Chamber Chorale,
Twenty-fourth Annual Invitational Madrigal and Chamber Choir festival.
Available at: http://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/music_choral_ensembles/7