First page number:
Last page number:
Project 1. Relict Leopard Frog Monitoring, Management, and Research
- Translocation field season has begun; eggs have been collected, tadpoles are being reared and some tadpoles have been released to an existing translocation site
- Egg mass surveys for the season have been completed
- Nocturnal surveys have begun
- Sampling for the amphibian chytrid fungus conducted at multiple sites
- Data transferal to County conducted this quarter
- A modified annual work plan and timeline was provided for delivery to the County
- All milestones and deliverables associated with the MSHCP project are on schedule
Project 2. Bald Eagle Winter Monitoring and Evaluation
- Winter bald eagle count successfully conducted
- Data successfully transferred to County
- An updated timeline and work plan provided to transferal to County
- All MSHCP milestones and deliverables are on schedule
Project 3. Peregrine Falcon Monitoring and Evaluation
- Extended monthly observations on resident peregrine falcon non-breeding activity at five territories was completed this quarter
- Peregrine falcon monitoring of 2009 breeding activities initiated
- A draft habitat suitability model has been used to guide exploratory surveys for previously unknown breeding areas, five additional breeding sites were identified
- Data associated with monitoring and preliminary habitat modeling and assessment has been organized, quality assured, and provide to NPS for transfer to the County
- The MSHCP projects are on schedule for all milestones and deliverables
Project 4. Assessment of Six Covered and Three Evaluation Bird Species
- Data from 2008 intensive area surveys and habitat assessments transferred to County
- Thrasher habitat modeling nearing completion and we are working on the final report.
- Compilation of historical location data for targeted songbird species mostly completed this quarter.
- Field surveys initiated for targeted species at historical sites
- Project is on schedule for all associated MSHCP milestones and deliverable
Project 5. Desert Tortoise Monitoring and Management.
- Efforts for this project have been completed under this task agreement (as modified)
Project 6. Shorebird Monitoring on Lakes Mead and Mohave
- Twenty-four surveys were conducted at eight intensively monitored sites on Lakes Mead and Mohave
- Preliminary results were presented at two professional meetings
Project 7. Desert Bighorn Sheep Habitat Use Monitoring in Relation to Highway Development.
- Data processing and field components completed for this project
- No efforts on this project were requested this quarter
Bald eagle--Geographical distribution; Bighorn sheep--Behavior; Desert tortoise--Protection; Empidonax traillii; Falco peregrinus; Gopherus agassizii; Habitat (Ecology)--Protection; Haliaeetus leucocephalus; Ovis canadensis; Peregrine falcon--Habitat; Southwestern willow flycatcher; United States--Lake Mead National Recreation Area; Wildlife monitoring
Desert Ecology | Ecology and Evolutionary Biology | Environmental Indicators and Impact Assessment | Environmental Monitoring
Rees, M. N.
Lake Mead National Recreation Area Sensitive Wildlife Species Monitoring and Analysis: Quarterly Progress Report, Period Ending March 31, 2009.
Available at: http://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/pli_lake_mead_wildlife/16