First page number:
Last page number:
- BLM informed UNLV that the type of operating plan that was identified in June, 2011 as the appropriate instrument for future operations, and which was to have been completed by May 2012, prior to beginning construction, would not work for BLM. BLM informed UNLV that they are now considering a concession contract as the appropriate BLM document for the future operating partner.
- BLM and UNLV visited the ranch for a day to examine the continuing deterioration of the ranch house from water, and to discuss how to address this on-going problem. The group reviewed damage owing to water coming into the walls around the deteriorating windows, and also rain water that ponds against the ranch house foundation during rain storms. UNLV facilities is preparing an estimate to repair the damage.
- UNLV participated in: a one day meeting with BLM to discuss construction and construction contracting; a one day meeting to determine a way forward to complete the interpretation design; a one-half day meeting to review Condits interpretation package, and a one-half day meeting to discuss current problems related to a future operating agreement.
- Progress continues in developing pamphlets describing plants and animals native to the area and also describing the local geology.
- UNLV continues to work with BLM and Condit, supplying content for interpretative displays for the future Walking Box Ranch museum.
- UNLV is funding a graduate student in public history to complete curation of blacksmith tools originally used at the ranch and donated to UNLV by Dorothy Bell.
Blacksmithing – Equipment and supplies; Environmental literacy; Historic buildings – Maintenance and repair; Historic sites – Management; Museums – Planning; Nevada – Searchlight; Ranches; United States – Mojave Desert; Walking Box Ranch (Searchlight, Nev.)
Business Administration, Management, and Operations | Education | Environmental Sciences | Historic Preservation and Conservation
Rees, M. N.
Walking Box Ranch Planning and Design Quarterly Progress Report: Period ending April 10, 2012.
Available at: http://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/pli_walking_box_ranch/31