Effect of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Tubes Filled with Recycled Materials and Concrete on Structural Capacity of Pile Foundations
First page number:
Last page number:
This paper deals with analyzing the structural responses of glass-fiber-reinforced polymer (GFRP) tubes filled with recycled and concrete material for developing composite piles, as an alternative to traditional steel reinforced piles in bridge foundations. The full-scale GFRP composite piles included three structural layers, using a fiber-oriented material that was inclined longitudinally. Almost 60% of the fibers were orientated at 35° from the longitudinal direction of the pile and the rest 40 percent were oriented at 86° from the horizontal axis. The segment between the inner and outer layers was inclined 3° from the hoop direction in the tube. The behavior of the filled GFRP tubes was semi-linear and resulted in increasing the total ductility and strength of the piles. Adjusting the material’s properties, such as the EAxial, EHoop, and Poisson ratios, optimized the results. The lateral strength of the GFRP composite pile and pre-stressed piles are investigated under both axial compression and bending moment loads. Based on the conducted parametric study, the required axial and bending capacities of piles in different ranges of eccentricities can be reached using the combination of tube wall thickness and GFRP fiber percentages.
Pile Design; Fiber Reinforced Polymer; FRP; Composite Pile; Bridge Design; GFRP; Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer
Civil and Environmental Engineering | Engineering
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
Effect of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Tubes Filled with Recycled Materials and Concrete on Structural Capacity of Pile Foundations.
Applied Sciences, 10(5),