Graduate & Professional Student Research Forum
Graduate & Professional Student Association
• Radiation measurements are necessary for a routine monitoring of nuclear facilities and during emergencies, such as the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant accident
• Robotic platforms are utilized to carry radiation sensors to allow for remote sensing and sampling operations
• Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) and Unmanned Ground Vehicle (UGV)
• Robots might be exposed to the ionizing radiation (high dose levels are possible)
• Irradiation causes defects in devices and components leading to malfunctions and limiting the robot capabilities, decreasing its operational time
• The goal is to complete scheduled tasks while the robot is being irradiated
• To achieve this goal, electronic components should be shielded and radiation hardened
• Radiation damage in materials is characterized by the displacement per atom (DPA)
• Monte Carlo code FLUKA was used to calculate the DPA values in electronic components
Chagas Vaz, J.
Analysis of Radiation Damage in Electronics of Unmanned Aerial and Ground Robotic Platforms.
Available at: https://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/gpsa_forum/3