Public Lands Institute
Las Vegas, NV
First page number:
Last page number:
- UNLV provides stewardship of Walking Box Ranch (WBR) by providing a caretaker who oversees the property, facilitating use of the property by researchers and educators, developing a use and research policy for the property, and coordinating these activities with BLM and in accordance with TNC restrictions.
- UNLV currently addresses security issues for the property through the presence of the caretaker and two Metro Officers who reside on the property in two recreational vehicles.
- UNLV continues to work with BLM and Condit, supplying content for interpretation at the future Walking Box Ranch museum.
- BLM and UNLV visited the ranch on February 27 to examine the continuing deterioration of the house from water, and to make decisions on what action will be taken. We are currently waiting on estimates from UNLV facilities.
- Visits to the ranch this quarter included: 2 oral historian from UNLV Library Special Collections, 24 UNLV Educational Outreach Road Scholars, 10 members of the local community in Laughlin, the editors of Working Ranch Magazine, Ron Marshall (previous ranch resident), UNR professor Dr. Cheryl Glotfeltly and her husband, 22 participants in the UNLV Educational Outreach class: “From Mining to Hollywood”, 2 geology researchers from USGS and AZ Geological Society and an employee the NPS Wilderness Stewardship Division.
Historic buildings – Conservation and restoration; Historic preservation; Historic sites – Interpretive programs; Historic sites – Management; Nevada – Searchlight; Ranches
American Popular Culture | American Studies | Architecture | Arts and Humanities | Cultural Resource Management and Policy Analysis | Education | Educational Assessment, Evaluation, and Research | Historic Preservation and Conservation
IN COPYRIGHT. For more information about this rights statement, please visit http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Rees, M. N.
Walking Box Ranch Custodianship Quarterly Progress Report: Period ending April 10, 2012.
Available at: https://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/pli_walking_box_ranch/14