Public Lands Institute
Las Vegas, NV
First page number:
Last page number:
- UNLV provides stewardship of Walking Box Ranch (WBR) by providing a caretaker who oversees the property, facilitating use of the property by researchers and educators, developing a use and research policy for the property, and coordinating these activities with BLM and in accordance with TNC restrictions.
- UNLV currently addresses security issues for the property through the presence of the caretaker and three Metro Officers who reside on the property in two recreational vehicles, in rotation. UNLV has prepared a draft document outlining this agreement that will be signed by UNLV and participating officers. This agreement is currently under review by UNLV solicitors.
- During January 2010 a leak in the fire suppression tank caused the tank to lose all stored water. BLM was informed and is determining how to address fire suppression at the ranch in the future.
- Heavy rains at the ranch in mid-January 2010 caused water to pond in the patio area, and water seepage around some windows and possibly through the roof. These issues were addressed by modifying a drainage pipe in the patio area, and additional calking around windows; inspection of the roof is now underway.
- UNLV will hire a contractor to conduct in-depth spring cleaning in the ranch house and bunk house.
- Extra people were present at the ranch during the day and night of March 27, 2010 during Searchlight Tea Party event, to provide additional security.
Historic buildings – Conservation and restoration; Historic preservation; Historic sites – Management; Nevada – Searchlight; Ranches
American Popular Culture | American Studies | Architecture | Arts and Humanities | Historic Preservation and Conservation
IN COPYRIGHT. For more information about this rights statement, please visit http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Rees, M. N.
Walking Box Ranch Custodianship Quarterly Progress Report: Period ending April 10, 2010.
Available at: https://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/pli_walking_box_ranch/6